Schedule A Consultation Today 425-333-2358

Helping You Plan Your Future And Solve Your Problems

View Our Practice Areas

Ways to leave money to grandchildren

Lots of Kent area residents have created an estate plan or have it on their to-do list. Many times an estate plan will include gifting money or property to heirs after a person dies. For lots of people it is important to them that their kids, grandchildren or other relatives are left with some of their estate.

There are several ways grandparents can leave money to their grandkids. One way is to gift them the annual exclusion gift while the grandparents are still alive. Each grandchild can be gifted up to $14,000 each year which can be excluded from the grandparent's estate. You can also put that $14,000 into a 529 plan for their college education. Grandparents can also set up a trust for their grandkids or the grandchildren can inherit the money outright. These options may have consequences for the grandchildren's college financial aid packages though.

Grandparents who are looking for information regarding how to set up their estate for their heirs may want to speak with a legal professional skilled in estate planning. An attorney can look at a family's unique situation and help the family set up an estate plan that makes sense for their unique needs and values. There are many ways to set up how an estate can be distributed upon a person's death and an attorney has the experience necessary to make sure the person's wishes will be honored.

It can be an amazing gift for a grandparent to leave their grandchildren part of their estate. There are many ways grandparents can gift money for their grandchildren and help them with their future education expenses, living expenses and other interests.

Source:, "How you can leave money to your grandkids," Karin Price Mueller, Jan. 25, 2016

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Make Your Consultation Appointment

To speak with an attorney at Gellner Law Group about estate planning, probate, trusts, wills or tax controversy, contact our law office in Kent, Washington, today. You can call 425-336-2908 or send us an email. We provide representation across the entire Seattle-Tacoma metropolitan area.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Email Us

Kent Office
8407 S. 259th Street
Suite 203
Kent, WA 98030

Phone: 425-336-2908
Fax: 253-852-0400
Kent Law Office Map

Kent Office

Spokane Office
505 W. Riverside Avenue
Suite 500
Spokane, WA 99201

Phone: 425-336-2908
Fax: 509-769-0202
Map & Directions

Spokane Office