Drafting Special Needs Trusts

A special needs trust enables you to provide financially for the care of a family member with a mental impairment or physical disability. An attorney who understands the applicable federal and state regulations should draft this so that the beneficiary is still eligible for need-based government benefits.

The Washington attorneys at Gellner Law Group have been helping people throughout King County with their estate planning needs since 1978. Contact our office today at 425-336-2908 to arrange your initial consultation.

How Does A Special Needs Trust Work?

A special needs trust provides for a disabled child, vulnerable adult, elderly parent or other relative with a neurological impairment, mental illness or physical disability that makes him or her dependent on you for support. If that family member is eligible to inherit, he or she might be disqualified from government need-based programs such as Medicaid or Social Security Disability.

When properly drafted, a special needs trust is a legal way to protect assets from the government so that a family member can still receive government-sponsored housing, medical care or nursing home care. The trust is used to provide extras to improve quality of life and meet basic needs such as clothing, trips or spending money.

A special needs trust could be established in your will (a testamentary trust), by your living trust or the court, or it can be an independent trust managed by a parent/guardian or third party. The lawyers at Gellner Law Group have sophisticated understanding of estate planning laws, estate administration and federal regulatory matters necessary to create a legally compliant trust.

You Cannot Afford To Do Nothing

Our attorneys provide clients with affordable estate planning services. If you have a child or parent who is receiving government benefits — or may receive them in the future — you cannot afford to be unprepared for the event of your death or incapacity. While no one likes to plan for death or illness, the impact of improper planning on your loved ones could be considerable. Let an estate planning lawyer meet with you one-on-one to discuss your legal needs now so you don't have any regrets later.

Let Us Assist You

To speak with a Kent special needs trusts attorney about your estate planning needs, contact Gellner Law Group at 425-336-2908 in Kent. We assist clients throughout the Seattle area with their estate planning needs. Feel free to contact us by email as well.